Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The home stretch

Schuylerville Marina, Hudson River
26 (hard) miles

Breakfast with Mugsy in Schuylerville

I write an unprecedented early morning blog for a number of reasons:
  1. I slept under / next to yet another bridge last night, and such locations don’t encourage rolling over for another 40 winks
  2. A major tent malfunction has rendered my habitat into little more than a sleeve, a vinyl envelope, a kind of 70’s leisure suit that, while still effective, does not encourage malingering.
  3. Mexican food – even if it was the best Mexican food I’ve ever eaten – does not sit lightly, or long, for me.
  4. I’ve got get-home-itis. When the proprietors of this wonderful – and Schuylerville Marina is wonderful – place arrive this A.M., I must pay them before I leave. It’s 5:48, the boat is packed, I’m good to go.

Inspecting the tent


Kate and Rose drove over from Saratoga last night to take me to dinner, and Three Amigos in Schuylerville is worth a row from anywhere – great food! Rosie of course charmed our corner of the restaurant, and I didn’t stop her.

Yesterday’s 26-mile row up the Hudson was a real slog. As son Matt had predicted, all that water that pushed me through the Erie Canal is now bedeviling my every stroke up the Hudson. Yesterday was one of my shortest mileage days …. but also one of the more grueling days as well. Of course, the boat doesn’t know upstream from downstream; it just needs to be rowed, and ya gotta pull the oars to move it. So yesterday I tried not to look at the mach meter or think much about speed – just efficiency, line, and Motown. That I’m a simple man that can channel his few thoughts in tedium is perhaps, in the end, my best suit on this row.

Adverse current aside, this stretch of the Hudson is lovely. Yesterday’s meander past the Saratoga Battlefield, countless graceful herons, and bucolic farms along the banks reminds me yet again of the beauty in the backyard. Facing backwards, at 4 mph for 606 miles along some of the most beautiful waterways in the country (and Canada) gives one the opportunity to consider what a precious environment we have. Wow, what a tacky sentence, even for 6:10 AM. 
      
Rosie, Kate … thanks for the joy of your company last night … and thanks, too, to anyone who has hit the feeder bar at Boys’ Latin? This whole thing is masquerading as a fundraiser, but the truth is the funds make a great experience accessible to kids who would otherwise have to take another path … so, please, participate?

So on that mercenary note, I’m gonna pack up and hit the trail – Lock 5 opens at 7, and I want to be knockin’ at the door when the Canal Crew arrives.

Today’s Thursday … I’m hoping to be on Lake George by Saturday afternoon. Maybe I make it all the way, maybe I’ll have to do a final overnight on a favorite island on my ancestral waters … but the end is in sight!

Big ups,
   Peace, love, and happiness          


More equipment damage - but Al's temporary repair to
his guide boat seems to be holding

No comments:

Post a Comment