Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2017

A short blog after a long row

Marcy NY – Lock 20, Erie Canal
46 miles



Not much of human interest today, until the end. Up at 5, rowing at 6 to get across 22 miles of open water on Oneida Lake, a shallow lake with a nasty reputation for big waves when the wind blows.
By 7:30, I was in it, big – 4’ rollers, heavy wind and rain … but the wind was from the stern and all I had to do was keep the boat upright, square in to the advancing waves, and surfing straight. The mach meter GPS chimed 8 mph at times … too, too much speed in a guide boat … so my wish yesterday for a following wind today was granted in spades. Completing the crossing in under 4 hours, I collapsed on a dock, ate a bag of Raisinettes, and thanked my lucky stars I was in an Adirondack guide boat.

24 miles of placid canal rowing delivered me to Lock 20 and to the delightful company of Jack Banks, who is 3 months into a circumnavigation of The Great Loop aboard his charmingly salty 21’ Ranger Tug.  He’s blogging too, of course, at travelerswake.blogspot.com, his boat being ‘Traveler.’ Is blogging the new Elvis impersonation?


Jack’s a delightful fellow – worldly wise, widely traveled, and deeply knowledgeable about politics, boats, aircraft, and social justice. We knocked of the better part of a box of wine while we discovered how much we had in common … and while mosquitoes feasted.
    
This afternoon’s 24 miles ‘sprint’ to get to Lock 20 before closing time is a harbinger of the coming week lots of flat, in-line rowing, no open water excitement – just reeling in the miles to Waterford before the run north to Ticonderoga and the final sprint home. My rough calculus suggests 471 miles done, 209 +/- to go. At least I’m getting in shape for the final 100.

Tucking in amid tall grass and high cotton –

Peace, love, and happiness

Dinner at Lock 20


The Erie Canal




1 comment:

  1. Hi, Al. Alan here from the Erie Canal lock -- I was talking to you about writing a freelance article about your travels. I write for college alumni magazines as well as outdoor publications, so I'm sure there would be some interest in what you are doing. Can you send me your email or phone number and we can talk further? alwechs at gmail.com. Thanks, Alan Wechsler, Albany, NY

    ReplyDelete