Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Description of the Journey


On July 2nd, 2017, I’ll slide my Adirondack Guideboat into the hopefully placid waters of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron, Ontario, pushing off towards my home waters of Lake George, New York. This blog will chronicle that 680 mile journey, or at least as much of it as I can cover, and I am grateful beyond words to Kathy and Peg for their help both for lift to Canada and also for the maintenance of this blog. You may notice several earlier blog entries that profile the nature of my laughably irresponsible preparation for this journey, and as I row, the girls will document whatever progress I make along the way. The bulk of the writing will take place when I return…if my then-gnarled fingers can tap a key. Thanks for vicariously joining me in the boat and, Canada, Happy Birthday!!   





I tell the people I meet that one purpose of this row is to raise some money … in this case for financial aid at Boys’ Latin. Financial aid puts a lot of wonderful kids in my classroom and in our schools, young men who otherwise would not have access to a school and community like BL.

So … if you are so moved, hit the link that I’m told is somewhere on the blog (Ed. note – it’s in the column on the right) … and do what you can? I’d be rowing anyway … but this is the classic case of making lemonade out of an aging rower.




3 comments:

  1. Al,
    Congrats on your accomplishment. You certainly have more fortitude than I to undertake and complete such an endeavor. WAY TO GO!
    You are too generous in your recollections of our meeting. Jane says she didn't realize she made great Vodka & tonics and I must say all I did was enjoy our conversations.
    We had hoped we'd catch up with you again, but our electrical problem still persists which necessitated 2 additional days at 2 different locations to try and effect a fix.
    It seems we will be heading to Shelburne Shipyard on Lake Champlain to see if we can get it fixed. Without a solution we are limited in our mooring or on the hook opportunities which Lake Champlain is well known for.
    Hopefully, sometime over the winter while we are away from the boat and maybe on our way to visit our daughter in Severna Park, we could get together for another drink and conversations.
    Drop us someway to reach you and we'll endeavor to do just that.
    Take care and enjoy your well won laurels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane and Charles,
      It was nice to hear from you, but I'm sorry that your electrical issues continue to plague your vessel. Yet Shelburne is a lovely Plan B in the event you are hung up a bit longer. And thanks for the generous accolades even though anyone could do what I did if he or she simply climbed into the boat each day and did a bit of rowing...especially considering the prospect of meeting wonderful folks like you!
      By all means, call if you are in our neighborhood: 443 629 8688, e mail is afreihofer@boyslatinmd.com, and address is 825 William Street in Federal Hill, Baltimore.
      Safe and happy travels to you both and again, thanks for the earlier hospitality.

      Al

      Delete
  2. Hey Mr Frei! You may not remember me, but my name is Darrien Johnson. I was one of your students at Boys Latin. You were my 7th or 8th grade English teacher back in 2005. I just wanted to say thank you. I remember the school had a book fair, in the library and i didn't have any money to buy a book. You spent money out of your own pocket and bought me a book. Im not sure, but a believe the book i picked may have been "The Life of Pi". There was a tiger on the cover and i was obsessed with animals as a child, so that may have been the rationale behind the choice. I just wanted to say thank you. Jesus tells us to forgive, and be kind toward one another and thats exactly what you did that day. I've carried that moment with me my entire life and have never forgotten your act of kindness that day. Thanks Again. My email is Darrien.rjohnson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete